It’s the perfect time of year. And NOT for the ever possible chance of a snowstorm that will shut down your city, or the ability to hibernate and watch movies without apology (although that part is pretty cool). But because it’s a time for reflection and optimism.
2015 was a monumental year of travel and drinks, from traveling to Ireland and Scotland to tour distilleries; Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua to taste rum; learning about the famous Goombay Smash cocktail in the Bahamas; trying newly launched products at Tales of the Cocktail; exploring pisco and the food festival Mistura in Peru; and finally, becoming obsessed with masala chai and not-so-obsessed with Indian wine in India. I made several TV appearances on the D.C. talk show Let’s Talk Live, expanded my column for The Daily Beast, and had a killer time entertaining our servicemen and servicewomen at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, where I led whiskey and vodka tastings in November.
January seems to always be the kickoff for my big projects. Booze for Babes was published almost exactly two years ago, at a time when hardly anyone was talking about women being a liquor-drinking force to be reckoned with. Now there are all sorts of groups dedicated to us broads, from Bourbon Babes to Women Who Whiskey to The Whiskey Women and beyond. Booze for Babes was on the cusp of a movement that is still gaining momentum.
But this year is truly going to be the year of the booze-lovin’ babe. This month, I signed with a new literary agent on a new book idea. It’s still liquor related, but with more of a travel angle. Exactly my jam! We’re just wrapping up the proposal to shoot off to some eager publishers, and I can’t wait until I have some more news to share about it.
With a girlfriend who owns a wedding planning business, this month I also signed on with a production company to shoot a sizzle reel for a new booze reality TV show. Even if the networks don’t bite (or drink, if you will), the experience has been very exciting and fun. Stay tuned for more updates!
But even with all of that, I have many more goals this year:
- LEARN ABOUT NEW PRODUCTS. The booze industry has been exploding for years now, and I think we may be close to our peak. Even with all of the studying, researching and tasting I do, there is still an extraordinary amount of new products to try and things to learn. I also want to improve my palate memory so I can recall characteristics and compare spirits better, too.
- BECOME A BETTER BUBBLY BABE. Can you believe a few years ago I was not even a fan of champagne? Because now I love it. And I want to know more about it. This year, I’m going to try to get to a sparkling wine region.
- RAMP UP SOCIAL MEDIA EFFORTS. I have to admit that I’m a little bit old school when it comes to social media. I need to be better about sharing tips, stories and inspiration on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, so that’s what I’m going to do (follow me and give me a nudge every now and then. I’m @boozeforbabes)!
- MEET MORE BABES. I adore meeting other ladies and readers at my signings and guided tastings, sharing in camaraderie over cocktails and conversation. I want to host more bachelorette and bridal shower tastings and go to more military bases.
- BRAINSTORM A THIRD BOOK. Even though the second one hasn’t yet been green lit, I want to have another one in the pipeline. I love working on long-form projects that allow me to delve into a stack of books for days with cocktail in hand (hey, it’s inspiration).
- TURN THE BIG 3-O WITH A BANG. That’s right, I’m going to be 30 this fall, and I want it to be my best birthday ever.
So THANK YOU for following my adventures, and happy new year!